Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sharn White

Although I have been following Sharn on social networking sites for a while. I do not know her well and I thought that I'd like to know more about this lady so I extended a GeniMates invitation to her.

Thank you Sharn for your gracious response.


 
Date 5 April 2011
Name Sharn White
Hometown Brisbane Queensland

Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist?  I am currently working towards becoming a Professional Genealogist

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research?  My current studies are an Advanced Diploma in Applied, Local and Family History through the University of New England.
My background in teaching and other university studies in Ancient History and English have been very relevant to my genealogical research as they are areas which require analysis and critical thinking. The study of the German language as part of a BA has been especially helpful as I have German ancestry on my mother's side of the family.


What is your day job? My husband is a heritage architect and I work in his practice.

How long have you been chasing ancestors? I have been on the trail of ancestors seriously since the mid 1990's but I was interviewing family members and scribbling down family trees from the early 1980's onward.

How did you get hooked on genealogy? I grew up with my paternal grandmother telling me fascinating stories of her childhood in County Tyrone Northern Ireland and can recall being interested in my family history from my teenage years. I became much more involved in researching my family tree after a great aunt told me just before she died, that I had German ancestry. That was in the mid 1990's and I had never known that. Her comment sparked a thirst for more information and that was that. I was hooked!

What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?  I really enjoy all aspects of Genealogy. I thrive on examining evidence and finding clues and solving genealogical puzzles. I enjoy the way that history come alive through finding about the lives of ancestors. I have done quite a lot of research about convict Australians, as well as British, German, Norwegian and New Zealand family history, but I really enjoy everything that comes my way. I would quite like to write and speak about genealogy.

Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and Groups I am a current member of the Society of Australian Genealogists, The New Zealand Society of Genealogist and the Maryborough District family History Society and a past member some others including the Kent Family History Society and the Darling Downs Family History Society.

What are the lands of your ancestors? England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Prussia, France, Switzerland, New Zealand, Australia.

What Family Names are you Researching?
In England - MORLEY, HOYES, TAIT, GAIR, BERRY, BERRIFF, DUNSTER, FRYER, BEARD, LLOYD, DIXON, MALLOWS
In Scotland - MCDADE, GIBSON, CAMPBELL, FEARNS, CUPPLES, BULLOCK, SHAW, ARTHUR, MCFARLANE, MCDERMID, MCDAIRMID, MORRISON, RENNIE, MACDONALD, MCPHERSON, MCALISTER
In Ireland - WHITE, THOMPSON, SHAW, CLARKE, CUPPLES, SHAW, CRAIL
In Germany- NERGER, SIEGLER, SIGLER
In Switzerland- HABERLING, RYSER, BOSSHARDT, GERBER, HEINIGER, HILTBRUNNER, GRUETTER, RICKLI, RAMESEYER, HELD, GEISSBUEHLER, WIDMER, BUETTIKER
In New Zealand - HOYES, MORLEY, THOMPSON, WHITE, CRAIL


Who is your favourite ancestor? Why? I have become attached to quite a few people on my family tree, but I do have a definite favourite. I tend to get most involved with the scoundrels in my ancestry, probably because they are the most interesting to research. My great uncle Rex Morley Hoyes is an all time favourite because I have had so much fun finding out about his colourful life. He was charged with espionage and bribery in England during World war 2 but acquitted. I have extensive files from MI5 about him, detailing their suspicions. He owned a home which once belonged to King Henry the Eighth, flew illegal guns into Hyderabad with Sidney Cotton when he was Air Advisor to the Nizam of Hyderabad in 1947-48, built a secret airstrip on his property, Marwell Hall where Seafires were converted to Spitfires and owned a large steam yacht 'Warrior 11' which was originally built for American Millionaire Frederick Vanderbilt. He also changed his name to the fabulous creation of Vicomte Fessenden Charles Rex de Borenden! I would really have loved to have met Uncle Rex, but do suspect that he was rather a scoundrel.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why? I have never been to Zurich or Bern where my Swiss great great grandparents came from so that would be my first choice and then Winchester in England to visit Uncle Rex's Marwell Hall which is now part of a Zoological Park.

What is your favourite resource for genealogy? I love visiting Archives and Libraries to find original documents, especially those which have an ancestor's handwriting on them. There are so many wonderful resources on the internet as well and so I spend a great deal of time on my computer.

Do you keep your genealogy files on paper? Yes

Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer? Yes

What genealogy software do you use to record your family tree? Family treemaker
I am looking at The Master Genealogist.
Ancestry.com


Do you have your tree posted on the internet? Yes

If Yes What is the URL? Ancestry.com

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy?  Ancestry, Facebook, GenealogyWise, Genes Reunited, Twitter

Do you have a blog? Several

What are your blogs' URLs? http://SharnsgenealogyHints.blogspot.com http://www.sharn-genealogyjottings.blogspot.com

What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests?  In my 'spare' time I enjoy reading, playing the guitar and flute, collecting antiques and visiting art galleries and secondhand book stores.

What is your favourite lesiure time activity apart from genealogy? Reading

What is your favourite (non genealogy) book? I have many favoutite books but right now I am revisiting an old favourite - Wuthering Heights. I also enjoy anything written by Alexander McCall Smith

What is your personal philosophy in a few  words ? Always do your best and be generous in heart.

If you have anything else to share please add it below I am quite humbled by the invitation to share my profile. Thankyou for this opportunity, regards Sharn

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharn,

    Please contact me at john.mail@ozemail.com.au

    Re your John Morrison findings = ""Through further searches of the advertising section of the Sydney Morning Herald, I discovered that John had a large tram and rail carriage works adjoining Strathfield Station on the site where the Tafe College now stands. The business began its operations in 1889 and was located directly adjoining his address in Morwick street, on the other side of the rail line. John Morrison would only have had to step out of his home and walk across the railway line to his workshop"

    I don't think it was there ... but rather just east of Homebush railway station, running to the end of Bereford Street. It was a Railway Reserve and pic showing the carriage shed I have put at:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5737284/railway-reserve-1943.jpg

    The carriage shed is the long saw-tooth topped building right besides the railway line.

    It was demolished and is now residential highrise.

    Cheers,



    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Geniaus .....

    Hope you can help me find Sharn White. I have this information for her but she is extemely difficult to find (I've tried before .... but without success).

    """"""

    Hi Sharn,

    Please contact me at john.mail@ozemail.com.au

    Re your John Morrison findings = ""Through further searches of the advertising section of the Sydney Morning Herald, I discovered that John had a large tram and rail carriage works adjoining Strathfield Station on the site where the Tafe College now stands. The business began its operations in 1889 and was located directly adjoining his address in Morwick street, on the other side of the rail line. John Morrison would only have had to step out of his home and walk across the railway line to his workshop"

    I don't think it was there ... but rather just east of Homebush railway station, running to the end of Bereford Street. It was a Railway Reserve and pic showing the carriage shed I have put at:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5737284/railway-reserve-1943.jpg

    The carriage shed is the long saw-tooth topped building right besides the railway line.

    It was demolished and is now residential highrise.

    Cheers,



    John


    """"""

    ReplyDelete